Volunteering Builds Community
The mission of the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) at Heilicher is to maintain a close working relationship between parents, teachers, staff, and students. All parents, teachers, and staff are automatically members of the PTO and there are no dues required. Our active PTO provides parents with opportunities to build community and to support teachers and students in a coordinated way, when and where they need it most. We welcome parents (and grandparents) to attend PTO events, get involved through volunteering and share new ideas.
The PTO embraces the mission of Heilicher Minneapolis Jewish Day School by supporting the work of the staff to educate and inspire our students to reach their highest potential. Through PTO, parents, and teachers demonstrate several of the Heilicher core values including, “All Jews are responsible for one another,” “A mitzvah leads to another mitzvah,” and “The world stands on three things: the study of Torah, service to God, and deeds of loving kindness.”
You can access all current volunteer opportunities online through SignUp Genius.
The following are just some of the activities the PTO supports:
- Room Parents
- Art Room Helpers
- Library Helpers
- Art Adventure (Year-long exploration with Minneapolis Institute of Art)
- Tallit Project (Sixth Grade Jewish Prayer Shawl Interdisciplinary Project)
- Wellness Wednesday (Mind and body wellness electives for the entire school)
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Dining Room Assistance
- One-on-one Reading Assistance
- Assisting with Research Projects
- Holiday Projects
- New Family Mentorship Program
- Summer Kindergarten Park Playdates
- Mentor/Mentee Summer Picnic
- Back-to School Coffees
- Information Evenings and Parlor Meetings
- Faculty Meeting Refreshments
- Educational Speakers
- Parent Ambassadors
- Hesed Committee (Kindness committee providing assistance to families in need)
- Upper School Play
- Book Fair
- Eighth Grade Plant Sales
- HMJDS Annual Benefit Committees
- VOICE (Volunteer Opportunities in Community Service Experience)
- Upper and Lower School Fitness Days
- School’s Out Soiree (Adult Only Event)
We’d love to have you involved!
The PTO co-chairs for the 2017-18 academic school year are Genna Middlebrook and Elly Zweigbaum. Please send any questions to them at email@example.com.
One way Heilicher parents support the school is through periodic teacher appreciation gestures throughout the year. If you wish to participate, a contribution of $18 to support year-long Teacher Appreciation activities is greatly appreciated.